Do I Need a CORI? Do I Need to be Fingerprinted?
Massachusetts General Law ch. 459 of the Acts of 2012, “An Act Relative to Background Checks”, details what kind of background checks are required for employees and volunteers within the Swansea School system.
Employees are required to have both CORI and fingerprinting-based background checks prior to employment within the Swansea Schools.
Volunteers who would like to volunteer for school activities must complete a CORI check at least once every three years and have completed a fingerprint-based background check.
How Do I Get a CORI Check?
CORIs are processed free of charge through Swansea Schools. CORI forms are available in all the school offices or at the School Administration building. A valid, government-issued picture ID (ex. driver’s license) is required. The school's office or administration can look up the expiration date of a current CORI for those volunteers who may not remember when they need to renew.
How Do I Get Fingerprinted?
- Schedule your fingerprinting appointment online at http://www.identogo.com/fp/massachusetts.aspx (or by phone at 866-349-8130)
- Select the Digital Fingerprinting link towards the bottom of the page
- Select the Schedule New Appointment link
- Select Pre-K - 12th Grade Education (ESE) from the drop down menu
- Volunteers will select All Other School Personnel
- Provide Swansea Public Schools ESE Organization Code/Provider ID: 02920000.
- Proceed with appointment details, personal information and payment
The fee associated with fingerprinting is $55.00 for licensed or (pending license) educators and $35.00 for all other personnel, including volunteers.
Upon completion of your registration you will receive a Registration Confirmation Number which must be brought to your fingerprint appointment. A valid, government-issued picture ID (ex. driver’s license) is also required. At the conclusion of your appointment you will be provided with a fingerprint receipt. Save this for your records.What if I’ve already been fingerprinted for another Massachusetts School District?
Contact the Massachusetts school district for which you have already been fingerprinted and request that a Suitability Determination Letter be sent to Swansea Public Schools. This letter may be faxed, mailed or emailed to the Superintendent’s Office, but it must come directly from the original district. A copy brought in by the individual is not acceptable.
For more information, please visit